Graduate Refresher Course
Check back for future course dates and/or contact HMI to be put on the notification list.
This continuing medical education activity is designed for physicians who have completed the HMI basic training program (Medical Acupuncture for Physicians course) and have had solid experience in clinical acupuncture, whether in general medical applications, pain management, or rehabilitation medicine, and want to augment their clinical skills to address intermediate and advanced energetic and musculoskeletal pain conditions.
Topics for the workshop include:
- Principal Meridians and N→N+1, beyond the HEMPs
- Shu-Mu Subsystem, beyond Mega Mu Shu and Wei Qi
- One Needle Technique, beyond KB1 and 2
- Curious Meridians, beyond Chong Mo – Yang Ming
- PENS, beyond classical cervical and lumbar PENS
- Psychoemotional treatments and their indications
- Stress treatment algorithms
- Preceptor consultations on patient cases pre-submitted by course participants
Early application is recommended. Attendance is limited to 30 participants.
With conscientious preparation and participation, at the conclusion of this training program you should be able to:
- Expand understanding and application of Principal Meridians, the Shu-Mu subsystem, and focusing points;
- Prioritize and incorporate psychoemotional treatments and Window of the Sky points;
- Expand understanding and application of One-Needle Technique and their indications for musculoskeletal pain;
- Expand understanding and application of the Curious Meridians and their indications for energetic imbalances and organ influences;
- Expand understanding and application of PENS and their indications for musculoskeletal pain;
- Learn an algorithmic approach to treating stress conditions;
- Participate in preceptor-supervised needling exercises;
- Receive preceptor consultations on challenging cases incorporating intermediate and advanced acupuncture techniques.
Pre-course readings will be assigned in the Acupuncture Energetics textbook. Dr. Nick Kouchis and senior preceptors teach the workshop.
Completion of the HMI 300-hour Medical Acupuncture for Physicians course is a prerequisite to attend this course.